Tailgate Hot Tip: How to Wash Your Hat
- Always wash your hat by hand!
- Fill a container or sink with lukewarm water; make sure it’s more cool than warm. Hot water will make colours bleed
- Add a small amount of mild or gentle laundry detergent like Woolite. Or you can use liquid Ivory soap (my mom swears by Ivory for so many different uses!)
- Submerge the hat in the water and let soak for 10-15 minutes (or longer if it’s really nasty)
- To avoid damaging the hat’s materials, test detergents on a small, hidden area inside the hat before washing
- If you have significant stains on the hat, use a toothbrush to gently clean using your detergent to pre-treat
- Rinse the hat under cool water to remove any soap residue
- Place the hat on a towel over a bowl to dry and shape. You can also stuff it with a towel to dry and help keep its shape
Good to know:
- If your hat is a specialty material like felt, wool or satin, spot clean only unless the tag states otherwise
- Do not use strong detergents or ones that contain bleach
- If your hat is older, the bill on the cap may be made of cardboard. If you’re not sure, do not wash it using this method - spot clean only!
- You “can” use your dishwasher, but it could result in colour fade or colour bleed because of the hot water
- Use a hat cage for drying and storing